NORTH DAKOTA’S TOUCHSTONE ENERGY COOPERATIVES Ð LONG, STRONG RECORD OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION:
Power generation practices: Reclamation of mined land – operating power plants with advanced clean coal technologies – exceeding federal air quality requirements – investing in wind generation.
EARTH DAY BORN - April 22, 1970 -
20 million Americans took to the streets, parks and auditoriums, in rallies from coast-to-coast, to demonstrate for an end to environmental pollution.
Each year since then, Americans, and communities the world over, use April 22 to remember this milestone date, and to undertake or continue with environmental care activities. More than 1 billion people in 192 countries now take part in what is the largest civic-focused day of action in the world – April 22: a day of civic participation, people meeting, communicating with elected officials, planting trees, cleaning up their towns and roadways.
Earth Day’s Global 2019 Theme: Protect Our Species
• The Earth Day 2019 theme focuses on halting the alarming escalation in the extinction of living species, animals and plants, worldwide.
• Earth Day Network points out that, normally, between one and five species will go extinct annually. However, scientists estimate that the world is now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the normal rate, with multiple extinctions occurring daily.
• Earth Day Network cites experts reporting that diminishing habitat, due to human encroachment, is the primary cause of reduction in species numbers.
• To advance the “Protect Our Species” emphasis of Earth Day 2019, people are encouraged to join groups working toward preservation of local, undisturbed areas of land and water, protecting natural biodiversity vital to survival of wildlife and plant life.
Continuing Earth Day emphasis: End Plastics Pollution!
• Only 10 percent of 300 million tons of plastic produced annually is being collected for recycling and reuse. Discarded, non-recycled plastic spoils landscapes and groundwater sources, endangering human and wildlife health.
• Earth Day reminders: Minimize personal use of plastic containers; recycle plastics, at home, work or within any organization; participate in community plastic and trash pickup efforts.
For more information, go to www.earthday.org.